As research begins to quantify the positive effects of empathy on patient experience—from compliance with physician’s orders and reduction in errors and malpractice suits to patient outcome—medical schools are reacting and looking for ways to integrate empathy and social skills training into their curriculums. Psychologist Mohammadreza Hojat studies physician training at Jefferson Medical College-Thomas Jefferson […]
About Stewart Gandolf, MBAStewart Gandolf, MBA, is both the Publisher of PatientExperience.com and the Co-Founder of Healthcare Success. Stewart has written for dozens of leading healthcare publications and spoken at hundreds of venues on a variety of topics including marketing, reputation management and patient experience. Additionally, he has personally consulted for over 1,500 hospitals and practices. Prior to becoming an entrepreneur, Stewart worked for leading advertising agencies including J. Walter Thompson.
Author Archive | Stewart Gandolf, MBA
Morning grumpiness? Checking email three times during dinner? You probably know which of your habits drive your spouse, your kids and even your friends crazy. And maybe your office staff wishes you’d work on your wardrobe selection or interpersonal skills. How about your interaction with patients? Patient satisfaction is influenced by interaction “intangibles” such as […]
The need for patients to feel good about their healthcare providers and their experience isn’t just a matter of proper manners in the office. In fact, patient satisfaction has its roots in a number of developmental psychology studies. Perhaps the best known is psychologist Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Generally, Maslow provided an outline of […]
“The Patient Experience” is a big umbrella. Medical practices, hospitals and healthcare providers try hard to deliver a good measure of satisfaction with each patient visit. But the tricky part is…the patient experience usually begins long before the office appointment, and it continues long after. Reaching these healthcare consumers—patients, prospective patients, family, caregivers—increasingly relies on […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Patient Experience Success Story: “Before It Was Cool” September 16, 2012
- Leadership: The Multi-Faceted Challenges and Rewards of Patient Experience May 11, 2012
- Hospital or Hotel? How Amenities Influence Facility Selection and Patient Satisfaction September 12, 2012
- Patient Loyalty: Why People Buy Emotions, Not Things January 19, 2018
- 4 Patient Experience Touchpoints: Doing the Right Thing December 6, 2017
- Become Best in Class in Patient Experience: Service Lessons from Iceland November 13, 2017
- 4 Smart Strategies That Deliver Stronger Patient Experience October 27, 2017
- Turning the Battleship and Building a Better Healthcare Experience October 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...