When the “stuff” hits the fan, it’s likely to clear the room. That’s the natural reaction. Nobody really wants to be on the receiving end… listening to the gripes and complaints of an unhappy customer…or unhappy patient. It’s counterintuitive, but expert advice in customer service is exactly the opposite. Embrace that next complaint. Meet it […]
About Lonnie HirschCo-Founder of Healthcare Success Strategies, Lonnie has consulted for over 2,000 health care clients during his 20-year career. Lonnie writes for many healthcare publications, and also has spoken at hundreds of venues nationally. His topics include patient experience, customer service, marketing, branding and business development.
Author Archive | Lonnie Hirsch
This post is the second in a series. Part One, The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One, is available here. For medical offices and hospitals, a chief cornerstone of delivering a positive patient experience is in “beating the clock.” The amount of time that a patient waits for healthcare services has a […]
Every definition of Patient Experience—the really good ones—identifies an emotional component. In fact, the emotional experience of patients is ever-present in every aspect of the continuum of care. From the patient’s initial need, their clinical treatment, and their interactions with providers and staff, to the outcome or resolution of their medical issue, human emotions are […]
There’s quite a revolution happening in the world of retail sales and marketing. Consumers are better informed, value driven and increasingly selective in their buying decisions. Small, medium and large businesses are turning up the customer service volume and using innovative tools and techniques to deliver a superior customer experience. Sound familiar? The rise of […]
Measuring patient satisfaction by Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey scores is a topic of considerable discussion. But now that patient satisfaction scores have become the “universal yardstick” for determining 30 percent of the federal financial incentive program, HCAHPS and patient satisfaction scores have serious financial weight with hospitals.
The changes in our healthcare system that link Medicare payments to Pay-for-Performance and patient satisfaction are constantly top-of-mind with hospital administrators and providers. With about $1 billion in payments on the table, it’s an industry preoccupation. But awareness by consumers/patients is growing also. Newspapers and publications throughout the nation have carried many items, and the Wall […]
STUDY: Researchers at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine published findings about effective and efficient methods that excellent physicians use to get to know patients as individuals, and improve patient-centered care.
Healthcare reform and a shift to pay-for-performance are certain for 2013, but the substance and impact of this shift is still under discussion.
Respected studies document patient experience and satisfaction as important, sometimes primary, factors in the healthcare delivery continuum.
A curious and confounding dilemma about all that encompasses “the patient experience” is that it is not a single, straight-line continuum. Process thinking is tempting: A patient comes in the door, receives medical care and exits. A linear structure, with a beginning, middle and end would be simpler to define, quantify, manage, monitor, improve and […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Don’t Let Your Technology Get in the Way of Patient Satisfaction October 16, 2012
- Medicare Star Ratings: Consumers Ignore But Industry Debates October 23, 2012
- Never on Thursday: Flow and wait times at the DMV vs. the ER June 1, 2016
- Patient Loyalty: Why People Buy Emotions, Not Things January 19, 2018
- 4 Patient Experience Touchpoints: Doing the Right Thing December 6, 2017
- Become Best in Class in Patient Experience: Service Lessons from Iceland November 13, 2017
- 4 Smart Strategies That Deliver Stronger Patient Experience October 27, 2017
- Turning the Battleship and Building a Better Healthcare Experience October 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...