Everyone is in favor of improving patient care. And, as the theory goes, the government’s incentive system of rewarding quality performance—HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems)—is the universal pathway. But this year, the healthcare reform’s pay-for-performance method is more penalty than reward. “Medicare is giving bonuses to a majority of hospitals that […]
Tag Archives | patient experience
Healthcare delivery in the United States continues to transform itself from provider-centric care to a patient-centered environment with a key goal of excellence in patient experience. Medical offices and hospitals have made significant inroads in recognizing the vital importance of “the customer.” They recognize the benefits of delivering a positive patient experience, but making breakthrough progress—and […]
Apple’s new Watch (mistakenly referred to as the “iWatch” in media rumors) is now officially “official,” although still not here. Availability is early 2015, they say. Notwithstanding that the Watch tells time and several other things, Apple is making a big splash with the health-related capabilities. The device, using sensors, apps and smartphone connectivity, ties itself […]
[Video Podcast] Stewart Gandolf talks with William Johnson, System Director, Patient Experience, Memorial Health System, Springfield, IL at Cleveland Clinic’s Patient Experience Summit Understanding, monitoring and improving the patient experience is a like a long-distance marathon without a finish line. It’s a process that Memorial Health System uses for continuous improvement. Looking at the entire patient […]
It turns out that healthcare providers and auto dealerships have much in common. Often, what they share is a sour reputation with the people they serve. Stick with me on this for a minute. Surprisingly, improvements in the “dealership experience” world illustrate some useful concepts for better “patient experience.”
By Gregg Tarquinio, PhD We’ve all seen the headlines: Is patient engagement for real? Just another marketing buzzword? Here today, gone tomorrow? We in the healthcare industry find this disconcerting, to say the least, but without real measurements, can we blame the skeptics? Though the actual term patient engagement may have only formally taken hold […]
Hospitals and health systems across the country are using specialized video messages to help shape a positive patient experience…even before the patient arrives at the facility. Label it “patient education” or perhaps “informed awareness,” video presentations reduce a patient’s fear of the unknown about having surgery, or simply showing what the place looks like. It […]
Good beginnings are required for good endings.
Twenty-two minutes can seem like long time for a patient to wait in the reception area. Various national surveys peg the average wait time to see a physician at the 20-minute mark…with patient satisfaction dropping lower every five minutes. What’s more, virtually all patients perceive their wait to be too long. Perhaps the most influential factor […]
Measuring patient satisfaction by Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey scores is a topic of considerable discussion. But now that patient satisfaction scores have become the “universal yardstick” for determining 30 percent of the federal financial incentive program, HCAHPS and patient satisfaction scores have serious financial weight with hospitals.
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Enhancing the Patient Experience: The Basic Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media March 11, 2012
- Patient Experience Success Story: “Before It Was Cool” September 16, 2012
- Patient Experience: Innovation Breakthrough or Lipstick on a Pig? November 3, 2014
- The Patient Journey Doesn’t Begin or End With a Warm Smile August 4, 2017
- Benefit or Barrier: Registration Kiosk and the Proper Patient Experience July 18, 2017
- You Had Me at Hello: Winning with the First Word in Patient Experience June 2, 2017
- It’s Hard to Be Easy: How to Deliver Great Patient Experience May 3, 2017
- How Consumer Empowerment is Changing Your Medical Practice April 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...