[Guest Post by Dr. Paul Rosen] When I visit hospitals across the country, the first thing I like to check out is the parking lot. An informal assessment of the hospital parking lot is revealing. I like to see who has access to the premium parking spaces–those closest to the hospital. Is it the doctors […]
Tag Archives | patient centered care
The secret to improving “the patient experience” is delivering what the patient wants most in every physician encounter. Clinical excellence? Yes, certainly. (That’s sort of a given.) A friendly smile? Sure. Empathy? Naturally. Authoritative confidence? Yep. Eye contact. Connectivity booster. These are all important elements in the patient experience mix. But consider that the typical […]
There’s a three-word phrase that successful doctors use often in interacting with others. Civic leaders, business executives and sales people all use it effortlessly—and effectively. It’s one simple, short phrase that easily fits in conversation, and works wonders in improving communications and patient experience. Here it is: “Tell me more.” For sales people, simply saying, […]
Perhaps the most consistent complaint about assessing patient experience and patient satisfaction is that some things are difficult to quantify, measure or report in a meaningful way. Quite often, it’s not about the clinical quality of care. Satisfaction is about intangible feelings of respect, both real and imagined. Among the five reasons that people don’t like […]
As often happens, a consumer research study has proven something that you probably knew intuitively…that bad news travels fast. But the survey by Colloquy, a consumer loyalty firm, identifies and quantifies the demographic slices that are “predisposed to engage in negative WOM (word-of mouth) practices after suffering a bad experience.” But the surprising insight about […]
A professional colleague has an insightful perspective on what’s good, and what’s not so good, about “patient experience.” Admittedly, his viewpoint is purely experiential. He speaks only as a patient, and as family caregiver, who has seen many doctors’ offices. It’s not scientific, but the assessment rings true with many people. Let me know if […]
The Heinz ketchup image—designing the product vs. designing the experience—can be seen as an excellent visual metaphor about efforts to enhance and improve the patient experience. During the past few years, “patient satisfaction,” “patient-centered care,” and “patient experience” have evolved from vaguely defined catch phrases to proactive, top-down hospital initiatives. Industry wide, hospitals and health […]
[Video Podcast] Pediatric Rheumatologist Dr. Paul Rosen, Clinical Director of Service Experience for Nemours Children’s Health System, talks with Stewart Gandolf at Cleveland Clinic’s recent Patient Experience Summit. One of the significant take-away themes that came through the Patient Experience summit is putting the patient needs at the top of the priority list. Rather than […]
Our little story begins with a recent patient visit to a doctor’s office. The story is true, but in the interest of patient privacy, we’ll avoid identifying particulars. Among friends and family, the patient sometimes refers to herself as a “little old lady.” And at 90 years of age, the label fits in the kindest […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Enhancing the Patient Experience: The Basic Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media March 11, 2012
- One Doctor’s Practical Tips and Techniques to Improve Patient Satisfaction July 12, 2013
- Overcoming the Dichotomy of Professional Distance January 12, 2015
- 4 Patient Experience Touchpoints: Doing the Right Thing December 6, 2017
- Become Best in Class in Patient Experience: Service Lessons from Iceland November 13, 2017
- 4 Smart Strategies That Deliver Stronger Patient Experience October 27, 2017
- Turning the Battleship and Building a Better Healthcare Experience October 10, 2017
- How to Build the Doctor’s Office of the Future Today September 5, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...