Research suggests has it that patient experience improvements may have reached their peaks. Have improvement rates bumped their head against a ceiling. Rates went flat since the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) connected patient experience scores to value-based incentives. Something about the ceiling observation reminds us of Charles Holland Duell. It’s one of those […]
A painful counter-current to a positive patient experience is the patient’s wait time. Nobody likes waiting. And the longer an individual waits for healthcare service, the more their level of satisfaction and positive patient experience erodes. Patients are waiting long before they get to the “waiting room.” On average it takes about three weeks to get […]
At least a few hospital administrators have quietly questioned how patient experience connects with financial performance. Skeptics say that experience is, at best it’s a “nice to have.” But for many executive leaders, the acid business test of a hospital facility is service line profitability. Part of the answer, of course, is where patent-reported experience […]
[Guest Post by Dr. Paul Rosen] When I visit hospitals across the country, the first thing I like to check out is the parking lot. An informal assessment of the hospital parking lot is revealing. I like to see who has access to the premium parking spaces–those closest to the hospital. Is it the doctors […]
A colleague told us about his recent stop at a nearby Staples store for office supplies. One unique thing was attention getting. Taking a page from the retail giant, it would be easy for every hospital to have a “presidential hotline” to optimize feedback and the patient experience. Here’s the quick backstory. Our friend’s shopping experience […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Never on Thursday: Flow and wait times at the DMV vs. the ER June 1, 2016
- Medicare Star Ratings: Consumers Ignore But Industry Debates October 23, 2012
- Tales of the TELL: Those Little Red Flags are Patient Experience Symptoms December 4, 2012
- You Had Me at Hello: Winning with the First Word in Patient Experience June 2, 2017
- It’s Hard to Be Easy: How to Deliver Great Patient Experience May 3, 2017
- How Consumer Empowerment is Changing Your Medical Practice April 10, 2017
- The Future of Patient Engagement April 3, 2017
- Patient Experience Starts with Your People Strategy March 7, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...