In any given week I lose track of the number of service feedback requests that come to me. There are many different forms and formats…but it’s troubling that the nation’s health care delivery enterprise seems less consumer-focused than most everyone. You might want to pass this article around to everyone in the office. These are […]
Archive | Staff Interactions RSS feed for this section
?” This little adventure began when a prospective new patient called a doctor’s office for a first appointment. And “rather than saying something pleasant, like Hello, the first word out of the receptionist’s mouth was ‘Insurance?’” The rudeness of her tone continued: “’IN! SUR! ANCE!’ She bit off each part of the word…she wanted to […]
Have you ever walked into a store, business or medical practice and felt immediately at ease, welcomed and comfortable? When you feel a sense of tension or discomfort it is almost palpable. But when you experience positive feelings, it’s easily overlooked. Ensuring a warm and welcoming tone for your patients can be challenging for various […]
There is a temptation for healthcare professionals to be drawn to the “big picture.” Communicators want to reach a large audience. Administrators are concerned about a facility’s daily population and the percentage beds occupied. Marketing minds consider wide service territories. And advertising plans want to know the reach and frequency. There’s nothing wrong with big picture […]
Respected studies document patient experience and satisfaction as important, sometimes primary, factors in the healthcare delivery continuum.
What happens when a patient experience expert becomes the patient herself? We recently interviewed Brooke Billingsley, CEO of Perception Strategies, to find out. Not only is Brooke a respected researcher, she is also currently undergoing treatment for Stage II breast cancer. During her interview she gives her perspective of the state of patient experience in […]
Most fairy tales begin with “once upon a time.” There is a fairy tale in the healthcare profession: once upon a time the initials “M.D.” indicated status, trust, and perfection. Most physicians today realize that elevated status, abundance of knowledge, infallibility, and blind trust by our patients are long gone and are the stuff of […]
As research begins to quantify the positive effects of empathy on patient experience—from compliance with physician’s orders and reduction in errors and malpractice suits to patient outcome—medical schools are reacting and looking for ways to integrate empathy and social skills training into their curriculums. Psychologist Mohammadreza Hojat studies physician training at Jefferson Medical College-Thomas Jefferson […]
Morning grumpiness? Checking email three times during dinner? You probably know which of your habits drive your spouse, your kids and even your friends crazy. And maybe your office staff wishes you’d work on your wardrobe selection or interpersonal skills. How about your interaction with patients? Patient satisfaction is influenced by interaction “intangibles” such as […]
The need for patients to feel good about their healthcare providers and their experience isn’t just a matter of proper manners in the office. In fact, patient satisfaction has its roots in a number of developmental psychology studies. Perhaps the best known is psychologist Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Generally, Maslow provided an outline of […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Don’t Let Your Technology Get in the Way of Patient Satisfaction October 16, 2012
- Medicare Star Ratings: Consumers Ignore But Industry Debates October 23, 2012
- Never on Thursday: Flow and wait times at the DMV vs. the ER June 1, 2016
- Patient Loyalty: Why People Buy Emotions, Not Things January 19, 2018
- 4 Patient Experience Touchpoints: Doing the Right Thing December 6, 2017
- Become Best in Class in Patient Experience: Service Lessons from Iceland November 13, 2017
- 4 Smart Strategies That Deliver Stronger Patient Experience October 27, 2017
- Turning the Battleship and Building a Better Healthcare Experience October 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...