The secret ingredient in sales—the one thing that every successful leader knows—is to discover the emotional touch point that motivates the prospective buyer. Fundamentally, the individual doesn’t want to buy a car simply to have a car. They will buy a fancy car to boost their self-esteem. Or they will buy a fast, sporty car […]
Archive | Culture RSS feed for this section
I don’t know how much time or distance is needed for a battleship to turn around. We’re talking about one of those really big navy ships or even a 1,000-foot, 250,000 metric ton cargo vessel. What everyone knows is that a “really big boat” doesn’t turn or stop or do anything quickly. The concept of […]
There’s a dichotomy between the traditional paper-centric doctor’s office and the digital-centric life of patients.
The world of healthcare delivery continues to change—and the operational watchword is “easy.” This concept—a proven idea that practices can implement today—comes from the retail consumer world. Simply…when you make it easy for the customer, you differentiate yourself from the pack, and your results increase exponentially. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, […]
As patients increasingly are taking ownership of their health, the time-honored, physician-centric, healthcare delivery system is changing for the better. Consumer empowerment is their new watchword. And the lineup of expectations and patient demands includes transparent and personalized services. What’s more, your patient-centric audience wants a complete service package that is affordable, fast and convenient. […]
Have you ever walked into a store, business or medical practice and felt immediately at ease, welcomed and comfortable? When you feel a sense of tension or discomfort it is almost palpable. But when you experience positive feelings, it’s easily overlooked. Ensuring a warm and welcoming tone for your patients can be challenging for various […]
Research suggests has it that patient experience improvements may have reached their peaks. Have improvement rates bumped their head against a ceiling. Rates went flat since the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) connected patient experience scores to value-based incentives. Something about the ceiling observation reminds us of Charles Holland Duell. It’s one of those […]
A colleague told us about his recent stop at a nearby Staples store for office supplies. One unique thing was attention getting. Taking a page from the retail giant, it would be easy for every hospital to have a “presidential hotline” to optimize feedback and the patient experience. Here’s the quick backstory. Our friend’s shopping experience […]
The secret to improving “the patient experience” is delivering what the patient wants most in every physician encounter. Clinical excellence? Yes, certainly. (That’s sort of a given.) A friendly smile? Sure. Empathy? Naturally. Authoritative confidence? Yep. Eye contact. Connectivity booster. These are all important elements in the patient experience mix. But consider that the typical […]
Guest Post by Paul Rosen, MD A couple of weeks ago, I received the dreaded letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Visions of long lines, sitting on hard plastic chairs, and hours of wasted time went through my mind. It was a reminder to go to the DMV to renew my soon-to-expire Delaware driver […]
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Don’t Let Your Technology Get in the Way of Patient Satisfaction October 16, 2012
- Medicare Star Ratings: Consumers Ignore But Industry Debates October 23, 2012
- Never on Thursday: Flow and wait times at the DMV vs. the ER June 1, 2016
- Patient Loyalty: Why People Buy Emotions, Not Things January 19, 2018
- 4 Patient Experience Touchpoints: Doing the Right Thing December 6, 2017
- Become Best in Class in Patient Experience: Service Lessons from Iceland November 13, 2017
- 4 Smart Strategies That Deliver Stronger Patient Experience October 27, 2017
- Turning the Battleship and Building a Better Healthcare Experience October 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...