The world of healthcare delivery continues to change—and the operational watchword is “easy.” This concept—a proven idea that practices can implement today—comes from the retail consumer world. Simply…when you make it easy for the customer, you differentiate yourself from the pack, and your results increase exponentially. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, […]
Archive | Culture RSS feed for this section
As patients increasingly are taking ownership of their health, the time-honored, physician-centric, healthcare delivery system is changing for the better. Consumer empowerment is their new watchword. And the lineup of expectations and patient demands includes transparent and personalized services. What’s more, your patient-centric audience wants a complete service package that is affordable, fast and convenient. […]
Have you ever walked into a store, business or medical practice and felt immediately at ease, welcomed and comfortable? When you feel a sense of tension or discomfort it is almost palpable. But when you experience positive feelings, it’s easily overlooked. Ensuring a warm and welcoming tone for your patients can be challenging for various […]
Research suggests has it that patient experience improvements may have reached their peaks. Have improvement rates bumped their head against a ceiling. Rates went flat since the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) connected patient experience scores to value-based incentives. Something about the ceiling observation reminds us of Charles Holland Duell. It’s one of those […]
A colleague told us about his recent stop at a nearby Staples store for office supplies. One unique thing was attention getting. Taking a page from the retail giant, it would be easy for every hospital to have a “presidential hotline” to optimize feedback and the patient experience. Here’s the quick backstory. Our friend’s shopping experience […]
The secret to improving “the patient experience” is delivering what the patient wants most in every physician encounter. Clinical excellence? Yes, certainly. (That’s sort of a given.) A friendly smile? Sure. Empathy? Naturally. Authoritative confidence? Yep. Eye contact. Connectivity booster. These are all important elements in the patient experience mix. But consider that the typical […]
Guest Post by Paul Rosen, MD A couple of weeks ago, I received the dreaded letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Visions of long lines, sitting on hard plastic chairs, and hours of wasted time went through my mind. It was a reminder to go to the DMV to renew my soon-to-expire Delaware driver […]
Recently, we were talking with a marketing savvy client about the real meaning of patient experience. We agreed with Jill Mathison, VP Ambulatory Services, Pomona Valley Hospital and Medical Center, that it’s a tough concept to define, and a challenge to translate into a hospital brand and branding message. But the hard truth, we concluded, is that […]
STUDY: Researchers at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine published findings about effective and efficient methods that excellent physicians use to get to know patients as individuals, and improve patient-centered care.
When consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) conducted a national survey of over 6,000 US consumers in major industry sectors in the summer of 2012, they found several key differences between consumers’ attitudes and experiences in healthcare and other industries.
- The Psychology of Waiting vs. Patient Experience Enemy Number One December 18, 2012
- Coach Lou Holtz, the Importance of a Timely Note, and Patient Satisfaction January 8, 2013
- Enhancing the Patient Experience: The Basic Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media March 11, 2012
- Patient Experience Success Story: “Before It Was Cool” September 16, 2012
- Patient Experience: Innovation Breakthrough or Lipstick on a Pig? November 3, 2014
- The Patient Journey Doesn’t Begin or End With a Warm Smile August 4, 2017
- Benefit or Barrier: Registration Kiosk and the Proper Patient Experience July 18, 2017
- You Had Me at Hello: Winning with the First Word in Patient Experience June 2, 2017
- It’s Hard to Be Easy: How to Deliver Great Patient Experience May 3, 2017
- How Consumer Empowerment is Changing Your Medical Practice April 10, 2017
- Barbara Hales, M.D.: An additional demand on ER time also stems from ph...
- Atiqur Rahman: Thank's,Stewart for this wonderful article,i enjo...
- Kellee Everts: Great article! I've always coached and cautioned ...
- Bruce Allen: Your analogy, with the doctor as the pilot and the...
- What Would Empathy-Based Healthcare Look Like? | News In Marketing: […] When I talked with Dr. Rosen on camera p...